Mandatory reporter training: 2018 recap
November 26, 2018
Scheduling a presentation for mandatory reporters of child abuse and neglect is one of the most important things that Colorado agencies can do to ensure that their staff are educated and provided with the proper resources to know when and how to report child abuse and neglect. The mandatory reporter training provided by the Colorado Department of Human Services (CDHS) is a great way to positively impact networks of support for families and children by sharing information about child welfare practice and the hotline reporting system.
CDHS Division of Child Welfare hotline specialist, Yolanda Arredondo, travels across Colorado to provide these important trainings and has described the training to be one of her favorite parts of her job as she gets to learn more about what these agencies do. Yolanda finds the increased desire that community agencies have shown to learn more about child abuse and neglect reporting to be important and impressive. Trainees have typically been diverse and so far have included staff and clients at Marisol Homes, clergy at Calvary Worship, and doulas who provide overnight care.
The mandatory reporter training has so far been provided by Yolanda 23 times in 2018 and is an extension of the CO4Kids public awareness efforts. Below are the agencies that have received the mandatory reporter training by CDHS this year:
- Mile High Early Learning
- The Center for Trauma & Resilience (formerly known as The Denver Center for Crime Victims
- Marisol Homes (2x)
- Boys & Girls Club of Weld County
- Foundations Church of Loveland, CO
- Tri-County Health Department
- Adams County Community Reach Center (2x)
- The Blue Bench
- Laboratory to Combat Human Trafficking
- Planned Parenthood of Rocky Mountains
- Colorado State Foster Parent Association
- Prestige Preschool Academy
- Colorado Coalition for the Homeless (3x)
- Illuminate Colorado (via web-conference for perinatal providers) (2x)
- Doulas of Denver
- Calvary Worship Center of Colorado Springs, CO
- CARES Team at Presbyterian St. Luke's Medical Center
Thank you for all that you do to keep Colorado informed, Yolanda. Check out the mandatory reporter page to learn more about mandatory reporters and how to get signed up for training.