The CAFCA Stronger Together Conference is coming up 11/18 and here's a sneak peek at presenters for breakout sessions!
November 9, 2020
The Colorado Association of Family Children's Agency annual conference is scheduled this year for November 18, 2020. The conference brochure, schedule and more details are coming soon, but here's a sneak peek at the presenters for this year's event.
Featuring Keynote Speaker: Dr. Phil Fisher, University of Oregon
Dr. Fisher is Philip H. Knight Chair and Professor of Psychology at the University of Oregon, where he serves as Founding Director of the Center for Translational Neuroscience. He is also a Senior Fellow at the Center on the Developing Child and a member of the National Scientific Council on the Developing Child, both based at Harvard University. His research, which has been continuously funded by the National Institutes of Health since 1999, focuses on developing and evaluating early childhood interventions in socially and economically marginalized communities, and on translating scientific knowledge regarding healthy development under conditions of adversity for use in social policy and programs. He is particularly interested in the effects of early stressful experiences on children's neurobiological and psychological development, and in prevention and treatment programs for improving maltreated children's functioning in areas such as attachment to caregivers, relationships with peers, and functioning in school. He is also interested in the brain's plasticity in the context of therapeutic interventions. Dr. Fisher is the developer of a number of widely implemented evidence-based interventions for supporting healthy child development in the context of social and economic adversity, including Treatment Foster Care Oregon for Preschoolers (TFCO-P), Kids in Transition to School (KITS), and Filming Interactions to Nurture Development (FIND). He has published over 200 scientific papers in peer reviewed journals. He is the recipient of the 2012 Society for Prevention Research Translational Science Award, and a 2019 Fellow of the American Psychological Society.
Mid-Day Featured Speaker: Giovanna Carriero-Contreras, Honorary Vice Consul of Italy in Denver
CEO Cesco Linguistic Services, 2020 Bill Daniels Ethical Leader of the Year Award Recipient
Topic: Implicit Bias and Cultural Humility
CAFCA Excellence Awards Presentation
Break-Out Sessions (*To be recorded so participants don't miss anything!)
- Gender & Sexuality 101: Supporting LGBTQ + Youth ~ By Syah Taylor, Rainbow Alley
- Fostering Permanency & Well-Being through Youth Advocacy ~ Heather Taussig, PhD, University of Denver & Jessica Corvinus, Kempe Center
- An Independent Ear: How CO's Child Protection Ombudsman Office is a valuable resource for citizens seeking fairness, transparency, and system reform in the child protection system ~ Stephanie Villafuerte, JD, Ombudsman, and Claire Hooker Case Analyst, Child Protection Ombudsman Office
- Which Way? Trauma Informed vs. Trauma Ingrained ~ Shari Simmons, LCSW, Fire Mountain
- Kinship Families: Safety and Stability for Children ~ Mariela Michael and Kinship Team, Family Tree
- Protecting Children from Sexual Abuse ~ Jill Johnson, MSW, Ralston House
- Best of Both Worlds: The Science of Emotion and Behavior ~ Kellie Rhodes and Aisland Rhodes, Limbic Legacy
- Cultural Competency: Getting an Understanding of Implicit Bias ~ Nathifa Miller, JD, CDP, University of Colorado Public School of Health