Recognize an experienced foster parent during National Foster Care Month
In preparation for National Foster Care Month in May 2018, CDHS is asking individuals, counties and CPAs to recognize a dedicated foster parent (or parents). Each year, CDHS honors foster families from throughout Colorado at a special luncheon at the Governor’s Mansion. CDHS also develops marketing materials, social media memes and short videos to share each foster family’s story and inspire others to get involved. These resources are also shared with counties and child placement agencies.
Research shows that the most effective way to recruit new foster and adoptive families is to share the stories and experiences of other families similar to them. Foster and adoptive families are important partners in our recruitment efforts.
We are looking for experienced foster parents who have cared for multiple children and youth and have been fostering for three or more years. Special consideration will be given to foster parents who have been fostering for five or more years.
We are also looking for:
- Foster parent(s) who are a part of a community you're trying to reach through your diligent recruitment efforts
- Foster parent(s) who have gone above and beyond to support reunification
- Foster parent(s) who care for teens, children and youth with more complex behavioral and emotional challenges, or care for young people who you need help finding appropriate placements for
- Foster parent(s) who have not been interviewed by a news outlet, but are willing to do so
In your application, be sure to share examples that illustrate their parenting skills and commitment to caring for children and youth who have experienced abuse and neglect.
In addition to being recognized at the Governor's Mansion, families will be:
Filmed for a recruitment video and attend a recognition event in Denver on May 12, 2018 (travel reimbursement and hotel will be available for families that live father than 65 miles from the event).
- Asked to speak with members of the media
- Featured on social media and in public service announcements
- Featured on CO4Kids.org to inspire potential foster and adoptive families
- Featured on the Colorado Heart Gallery, if the foster family has also adopted
The deadline to nominate a foster parent(s) is February 28, 2018.
This form works best in Google Chrome. Having trouble completing the form? Access the form here.