You Need Help
“Ask for help.”
“Join a support group.”
“Take care of yourself.”
If you’ve been through the foster care, adoption or kinship guardianship process, then there is a 100% chance that you’ve gotten the advice. So where, or who, do you turn to when you need help? Here are a few suggestions:
- Your County or CPA: Chances are, they have a support group and they probably told you about the groups during your training and certification process. GO TO THESE MEETINGS. Go to the meetings before, during and between placements!
- Foster Source: This new nonprofit provides free trainings, self-care activities (hello, yoga class!) and support groups while also meeting needs and granting wishes. The former foster and current adoptive parents who run the organization know how critical child care is, so it’s available for all of their events - free! Learn more.
- Denver Indian Family Resource Center: DIFRC provides cultural programing and family supports for American Indian and Alaska Native families and children. Learn more about their services on their website.
- Parent Associations: The Colorado State Foster Parent Association and the Colorado Coalition of Adoptive Families are two statewide organizations that provide educational opportunities and help to create connections among foster, adoptive and kinship families.
- Kinship Navigation Guide: Are you the caregiver for a young family member or another child you have a close relationship with? You may be able to receive support that is typically available to bio parents. Learn more about accessing these resources and navigating kinship in the Kinship Navigation Guide available on COkinship.org.
These are just a hanful of suggestions. Find more support resources here.
We want to hear from you! Attend one of the CDHS-supported Post-Permanency Summits and let us know what services are the most beneficial. In April 2017, CDHS is hosting Post-Permanency Summits in the following counties: Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Broomfield, Custer, Denver, Douglas , El Paso, Elbert, Fremont, Jefferson, Larimer, Lincoln, Pueblo , Teller and Weld. Click here for more information and to RSVP to a Post Permanency Summit.