We need your help to support foster and kinship parents!
Colorado foster and kinship parents and advocates: Your Voice Matters.
Please contact your Colorado legislators to share your experience caring for children involved with our child welfare system and let them know that you support this bill.
House Bill 18-1348 will provide Colorado foster and kinship parents with much-needed supports including:
- Prioritized child care assistance for children in foster care. This will help foster and kinship parents pay for the cost of child care while also providing quality education and stability for children who have experienced abuse and neglect.
- Allowing foster and kinship parents to access background information about children in order to ensure the children receive the right supports while in the foster parent’s home.
- Allowing counties to provide additional support, such as stress management services, to foster parents.
Contact your legislator to let them know this bill will make a difference and ask them to support HB18-1348. Click here to find your legislator. Find tips to contact your legislator below.
How to contact your representatives
Use this website to find your representative. When you contact your legislator remember the following:
- Tell them you are a constituent; legislators pay attention to those who put them – and keep them – in office. If you are a current or former foster or kinship parent, please tell your legislator.
- Communicate aspects important to you in your own words; legislators prefer not to receive standardized emails and/or calls.
- Let them know that foster parents provide a critical service as caretakers for young people who have experienced abuse and neglect.
- Child care assistance is critical for foster parents.
- Children need to be placed with foster families who are properly informed about the child's background and who are provided the proper supports.
- Ask them to please vote YES on HB18-1348 to ensure our foster families and youth have the support they need.
- Include something specific to your and/or your district is helpful (A personal story, something you saw/heard, why this matters and is especially important to you, etc.).
General Outline for an Email
Dear Representative ________,
My name is _______ and I am writing you today to strongly encourage you to vote YES on House Bill 18-1348. This bill provides greater support to children and families in the foster care system.
House Bill 18-1348 outlines the information that foster parents need to know about the children in their homes to ensure the right level of care is being provided for those kids. It also prioritizes foster families for child care assistance. Most Colorado foster parents work, so they rely on child care. Currently, the average reimbursement rate for foster parents of children under 10 years old is only $12.55 a day, which isn’t enough to cover the cost of child care.
We need to do better for our foster families. As one of your constituents, I ask you to please vote in support of House Bill 18-1348.
(sign your name)
Want to share your experience in person?
House Bill 18-1348 will be heard before the House Public Health and Human Services Committee on April 10th at 1:30 pm in Capitol Basement Room 0112. Anyone can come testify. CDHS is encouraging foster and kinship parents, as well as advocates, to attend the hearing and testify in support of the bill.
What’s next for House Bill 18-1348.
Hopefully, with your support, the bill will pass out of committee and then be voted on by the House as a whole. There will also be another opportunity to testify before the Colorado Senate Committee. It is important for you to contact your elected officials before April 10th to let them know that you care about this bill.
You can also share your support and get updates on this bill on social media with the #SupportCOfosterparents #COleg.