Let’s get unanimous support for foster parents. Ask your legislator to VOTE YES on HB 18-1348!
After a long night of testimony, the Senate State Affairs Committee unanimously passed HB18-1348, a bill to prioritize child care assistance for children in foster care and to make information sharing easier. Let’s ensure the bill passes unanimously in the full Senate. Contact your legislator and ask them to VOTE Yes on HB 18-1348.
Now that the Senate committee has voted unanimously in support of the bill, the full Senate will vote within the week. We want every Colorado Senator to VOTE YES. You can make this happen by calling or emailing your legislator. Share this email with your friends and family and ask them to do the same. Tips on how to contact your legislator are below.
If we’re successful in the Senate, the bill will go to the Governor’s desk for his signature.
Get active on social media! Tweet or message your Colorado legislators and ask them if they will #SupportCOfosterparents #COleg
How to contact your representatives
Use this website to find your representative. When you contact your legislator remember the following:
- Tell them you are a constituent; legislators pay attention to those who put them – and keep them – in office. If you are a current or former foster or kinship parent, please tell your legislator.
- Communicate aspects important to you in your own words; legislators prefer not to receive standardized emails and/or calls.
- Let them know that foster parents provide a critical service as caretakers for young people who have experienced abuse and neglect.
- Child care assistance is critical for foster parents.
- Children need to be placed with foster families who are properly informed about the child's background and who are provided the proper supports.
- Ask them to please vote YES on HB18-1348 to ensure our foster families and youth have the support they need.
- Include something specific to your and/or your district is helpful (A personal story, something you saw/heard, why this matters and is especially important to you, etc.).
General Outline for an Email
Dear Representative ________,
My name is _______ and I am writing you today to strongly encourage you to vote YES on House Bill 18-1348. This bill provides greater support to children and families in the foster care system.
House Bill 18-1348 outlines the information that foster parents need to know about the children in their homes to ensure the right level of care is being provided for those kids. It also prioritizes foster families for child care assistance. Most Colorado foster parents work, so they rely on child care. Currently, the average reimbursement rate for foster parents of children under 10 years old is only $12.55 a day, which isn’t enough to cover the cost of child care.
We need to do better for our foster families. As one of your constituents, I ask you to please vote in support of House Bill 18-1348.
(sign your name)