How can we improve the child welfare system in Colorado?

October 26, 2018

We are asking for feedback from parents, youth in foster care and foster care alum, and foster and kinship parents.

Congress passed the Family First Prevention Services Act (FFPSA) in February. This Act will change the way that child welfare works by putting more emphasis on preventative services. Specifically, FFPSA:

  • includes historic reforms to help keep children and youth safely with their families and emphasizes the importance of children and youth growing up in families. 
  • helps ensure that when foster care is needed, children and youth are placed in the least restrictive, most family-like setting appropriate to their needs.
  • emphasizes that serving children and youth should include the people who are important to them, including siblings, birth parents, kin, foster and adoptive parents. 
  • will offer a way to get funding through grants to help find and keep foster families.
  • encourages extending or expanding services to older youth who are in the independent living program
  • supports kin by encouraging programs that help them navigate the system.

Colorado wants your perspective on how we can improve the child welfare system. Please take 10-15 minutes to complete this survey by November 16, 2018. 

Colorado will be considering all recommendations. All responses will be kept anonymous and confidential. There will be an opportunity to be entered for a drawing for 1 of 4 $25 gift cards at the end of the survey. We are also interested to know if particular constituency groups would be interested in having a more in-depth conversation with us in person. We welcome the opportunity to hear the voices of youth, families, and caregivers who are or have been involved in the child welfare system. Please email if you are interested.

Back to the Blogs
Colorado Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline
Available 24 hours a day, every day. Don't hesitate to call and get help. 
Anyone witnessing a child in a life-threatening situation should call 911 immediately.