Free tax preparation services available across Colorado
February 25, 2019
Tax Help Colorado, a program of The Piton Foundation, offers free tax preparation assistance to families who earn less than about $55,000 a year. Free tax sites, known as Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Sites, are located across the state. Use the look up tool to search for a free tax site in your community using your zip code or address.
Free tax preparation services are available in Spanish and English. IRS-certified volunteers can help prepare returns with these characteristics:
- 2018 or 2017 returns
- Federal and Colorado income tax forms
- Household income under $55,000
- Income from wages, social security, retirement, pension, annuity, interest, ordinary dividends, capital gains and losses
- Simple business income (Schedule C or C-EZ)
- Credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Education Credits, and Savers Credit
- Reporting health coverage or claiming exemptions
Did you know that as a foster family you may be eligible to claim the EITC, which is worth up to $6,431 for the 2018 tax year? One in four families, including foster families, in Colorado are missing out on claiming the EITC. Learn more.